Happy Homecoming Week, everyone! As usual, the MHS band has many events in the upcoming weeks. Here's all the info:
1. Cheesecake Sale - This is a completely optional fundraiser purely to help students with our spring break trip to NYC. Checks should be made out to MHS BOPA. All orders are due with payment on Sept. 29. Delivery will take place on Oct 7; all cheesecakes must be picked up after school that day so they do not melt. Students will earn the full $6 profit per cheesecake for their student account.
2. Wisconsin Brass Quintet visit and concert - On Sept. 27 during ASR, the UW-Madison faculty brass quintet will be visiting MHS to perform and conduct a clinic on a Gabrieli brass choir. All students are welcome, but brass players especially should plan to attend. Brass students are then invited to the UW to perform at the university's Brass Fest concert on Saturday, Oct. 1 (rehearsal at 4pm, concert at 8pm). Music and registrations will be distributed next week; students do not need to attend the concert downtown to play at the MHS clinic.
3. Homecoming Parade - On Wednesday ( Sept. 21), marching band students should report to the band room immediately after school; we will have a rehearsal with KMS and GCMS bands before marching in the homecoming parade at 6:00. Students with fall sports practices should communicate with Mr. Brown or Mr. V and plan to report immediately after practice for the parade. Note that students are generally expected to perform with the band for this event rather than walking with clubs or sports. Wear cardinal red/white as we will not be wearing uniforms.
4. Homecoming Game - This Friday ( Sept. 23), the marching band does perform at the home football game even though there is no school. Report time is 5:30; be dressed and ready at 6:00.
5. Sauk Prairie Invitational - Performance times have been announced for the marching competition on Oct. 8. In addition to the usual marching equipment (long black socks, extra reeds...), students should bring a snack or money for concessions. We are looking for a few parent volunteers to help with front ensemble setup (the percussion on the sideline) as well as some light chaperoning. Contact Mr. Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can help. Timeline as follows (all times PM):
4:30--Report to MHS to dress in uniform 4:50--Full dress run-through 5:15--Load buses/truck for Sauk Prairie 7:00--Show begins 9:20--Award ceremony 11:00 (approx.)--Home at MHS
6. NYC forms - A quick reminder that registrations for the NYC 2017 tour are due on Monday, Sept. 26.
7. Field show recording - If you've made it this far, please enjoy this recording of last Friday's field show, courtesy of Brian and Mary Lou Essert. We've got some work to do before October but are looking better and better! Click here to watch.
Hope you all got to enjoy the beautiful weather this weekend! As usual, contact Mr. Brown or Mr. V with any questions.
Michael Ver Voort
Middleton High School