Hello, everyone! The end of the school year is fast approaching, and there is still a lot on the calendar for MHS band. Just a few reminders about upcoming events:
1. Important! - Date Correction: The May concerts are on 5/9 and 5/10, but the performing groups are listed differently on different calendars (newsletter, website). The correct assignments are:
May 9th: Concert Band Block 2 and Wind Ensemble May 10th: Concert Band Block 1 and Cardinal Band
Both concerts start at 7:30, with students reporting at 6:50. Dress is the usual (all black for 10th-12th grade and "dress nice" for 9th grade).
2. State Solo/Ensemble is April 29th at UW-Platteville. The schedule is posted in the band room and available online here. No time requests were allowed, but you can work out conflicts by switching with other students.
3. Marching Band 2017 Forms were due last week, and we're still waiting on a few. Every 9th-11th grade student needs a signed form regardless of whether they intend to participate. Click here for an online copy, and turn in immediately.
4. Summer Camp Scholarship Applications are now available to pick up from Mr. V or Mr. Brown. This year, BOPA is able to offer both full and partial scholarships for a variety of summer opportunities, including the UW music clinic, color guard/marching leadership camps, and other performing music camps. Forms are due Monday, April 24th - no exceptions.
5. Jazz Tracs is coming up on May 19th, featuring local guest artist The Jimmys. All four jazz bands will be performing, and tickets will be available soon. Students: don't forget about the dress rehearsal on May 18th!
6. The Music Dept. Awards Reception will take place at 6:30pm on May 22nd. This is where solo/ensemble medals, band letters, scholarships, and other awards are distributed, so mark your calendars!
7. Memorial Day 2017: Once again, the MHS Cardinal Marching Band will perform at Memorial Day observances in Ashton and Cross Plains on the morning of May 29th from about 8:00-1:00. All students will be doing an in-class marching unit to prepare, and any student who did not march in the fall will still have the opportunity to participate. (They will just need to be fitted for a uniform the week before.)
8. Spring Supper: Thanks to all of the parents and students who made the annual BOPA Spring Supper & Silent Auction a massive success! We don't have final fundraising numbers just yet, but preliminary information suggests we raised well over our $10,000 budget goal.
9. Percussion Concert: The Middleton High School percussionists will be presenting a concert of solos and ensembles on Sunday, May 7th at 4:00pm in the PAC. Come hear and watch some awesome percussion music!
Thanks, everybody. We're on the home stretch with a lot of great music to be made in the next few weeks!
-- Michael Ver Voort
Music Teacher Middleton High School (608) 829-9680 firstname.lastname@example.org